Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Walk to End Alzheimer's

This year our family is doing the Walk to End Alzheimer's for the second year in a row. I wish this disease didn't affect our family, but unfortunately one in eight older Americans have Alzheimer's so the chances are you know someone affected as well.

My grandpa was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2009, and passed away from pneumonia a short time after. I found out I was pregnant with Claire at the time he was in the hospital. To this day I am saddened to think he never got to meet his great-granddaughter and that I didn't get to tell him I was pregnant. Especially since he was dropping hints about Clay & I having kids since the day we were married! I know he is looking over Claire and all of us.

Last year, actually a year ago this past Sunday we lost my father-in-law to kidney failure. He had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in late 2010, and later with frontal-lobe dementia in 2011. Standing by helpless as my husband and mother-in-law tried to take care of him is something I will never forget. It is such a horrible disease to go through for everyone involved. How do you comprehend your father not knowing who you are anymore?

The awareness we now have of this disease has led us to the involvement with the Walk to End Alzheimer's. It is an inspiring event and although it is a small way to get involved, it helps to know we make some kind of difference!

If you'd like to donate to our team for the walk this year, please click on the link below. Every little bit counts and my family appreciates it!


http://act.alz.org/goto/amywaddill


P.S. Pictures of Maggie coming soon, I'm downloading them as I type!

No comments:

Post a Comment